Georgia Car Registration Change of Name

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Department of Driver Services (DDS) recommends that you change the name on your Georgia car regisitration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DDS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. In addition to assistance in preparing official forms, the value added services and products you will receive include a comprehensive Easy Guide™ containing information relevant to your service needs; 30 days of both emergency Roadside Assistance and the Repair Assist consultation service from Road America. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DDS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DDS.

3: Via a DDS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DDS office. Varying DDS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DDS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DDS allows you to make a personal appointment.



Change of Name on Car Registration

Before changing your name on your car registration, you must make sure that this change has been made with the United States Social Security Administration. For detailed information on how this can be accomplished, visit the Social Security Administration website.

You can only change your name by presenting proof of legal name change with one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Court-ordered document
  • Divorce decree

Once this is complete, you may then proceed to request a name change on your car registration by visiting one of your local tag office locations.